To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo || 5/5
Princess Lira is siren royalty and the most lethal of them all. With the hearts of seventeen princes in her collection, she is revered across the sea. Until a twist of fate forces her to kill one of her own. To punish her daughter, the Sea Queen transforms Lira into the one thing they loathe most—a human. Robbed of her song, Lira has until the winter solstice to deliver Prince Elian’s heart to the Sea Queen or remain a human forever.
The ocean is the only place Prince Elian calls home, even though he is heir to the most powerful kingdom in the world. Hunting sirens is more than an unsavory hobby—it’s his calling. When he rescues a drowning woman in the ocean, she’s more than what she appears. She promises to help him find the key to destroying all of sirenkind for good—But can he trust her? And just how many deals will Elian have to barter to eliminate mankind’s greatest enemy?
- There are some flaws with this book, but I’m rating it 5/5 for pure enjoyability.
- The main characters are developed, but the minor ones are not. And whatever personality they do have, it’s basically a reflection of the main characters’.
- There wasn’t a ton of romance! Which was lovely. It’s so much better when YA books aren’t needlessly bogged down by romances. However, for the romance that there was, I didn’t feel the chemistry.
- Fast-paced. I was never bored and kept turning pages, despite the fact that I had other things to do.
- There are pirates! Have I ever missed an opportunity to tell you dudes how much I love pirates? I haven’t found a pirate book that I dislike yet.
- Loved the morally grey characters.
- Interesting and unique world.
- It was funny. I laughed out loud quite a bit. Lovely banter.
- The writing was pretty. There was nice imagery.
Read 7/30/18 – 8/2/2018
Currently Reading: Vicious by V.E. Schwab
- So far this book is AMAZING. I really should be getting other stuff done, though…
- I read the first book, Daughter of Smoke & Bone, but I didn’t particularly like it. I was bored throughout it. So I gave the second book a chance, but it didn’t manage to wow me.
- However, the writing is beautiful.
- I only read a couple chapters of this book, but I didn’t like the writing style and everything felt forced.